Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Los mismos monos en otro circo

Los mismos monos en otro circo. Same monkeys, just a different circus.

I just learned this wonderful expression on my trip last week to Mexico City. I learned so much about Mexico from my absolutely wonderful taxi driver, Rodolfo (contact the Marco Polo Hotel on calle Amberes in the Zona Rosa if you need a fabulous taxista; they can contact him for you). My friends and I had a great discussion with him about Mexican politics. The general feeling among Rodolfo and so many other people I talked to -- in several different cities and towns -- was that no matter what political party is in power or who the president is, nothing about the people's daily lives will really change. Hence, one can describe the political situation as:

Los mismos monos en otro circo. Same monkeys, just a different circus.

It was interesting to note that despite the fact that many people have complaints about the government, or are disappointed, disillusioned or dissatisfied, I did not sense the visceral divisions that have characterized US politics recently. We, too, have our monos and our circos at the top, but lately we as a population seem to be acting an awful lot like monos as well.

No comments: