Sunday, January 16, 2005

La sombra del viento

Well, I found my Coyoacán-bought copy of Carlos Ruiz Zafón's La sombra del viento and decided to take a look at it before giving it to my mother. I took off the ubiquitous shrink-wrapped plastic that covers so many Latin American books (why?, I always wonder) and started to read. Within paragraphs, I was hooked. How can you not be, when in the first few pages you are taken to the mysterious and hidden Cementerio de los Libros Olvidados? I just spent most of the weekend glued to the book, ignoring laundry and lesson planning....and finished it only a few minutes ago.

It's a powerful book, beautifully written, and as good a read as Arturo Pérez-Reverte's best (El Club Dumás and La piel del tambor are my favorites). My cousin tells me that the translation in English is exquisite. So whether you read it in Spanish or in English, I highly recommend La sombra del viento. Just make sure you don't have a lot planned for the following few days.

No comments: