Thursday, January 13, 2005

A long shadow and a small world

Before I left for Mexico, my mother asked me to pick up a copy of La sombra del viento, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. She had just ordered the translation of the book in English, but wanted a copy in Spanish as well. She hadn't been able to find it in the United States, and was hoping I could find it in Mexico.

I looked all through many bookstores in Mexico City – not a hardship, since this is one of my favorite activities – including several in Coyoacán. Coyoacán is definitely a haven for bookstores and the people who love them.... Most of the bookstores had never heard of it. Some had it in their listings, but not on their shelves. One directed me to a book by another author named Ruiz, which was clearly rated X. (Wrong Ruiz, sorry!) Finally, in a bookstore in Coyoacán called El Sótano, success! I found it.

One week later, as I was looking through the Libros en español section at my local Barnes & Noble, what book do I see staring out at me from the shelf? Of course: La sombra del viento, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón.

I guess there are many lessons that can be drawn from this .... sometimes the things we are looking for far away are right under our noses ..... the world is becoming a smaller and smaller place ........ Barnes & Noble has a really good selection of libros en español.......

But the most important thing I learned is, now I know where to get a copy of the book, since I can't find the one I brought back from Mexico City!

No comments: