Friday, July 06, 2007

My op-ed was published ....

I got back from a trip to Venezuela last night to find that my op-ed was published on Tuesday!

I wrote about how Bill Richardson and Barack Obama are constantly being accused of being either too Latino or too black, or not Latino or black "enough." This is what biracial and bicultural kids are being faced with every day -- which table to sit at in the cafeteria? The pressure is to choose between one or the other ... but the reality is, they are both ... and the cafeteria needs a new table that reflects that.

My original title was, "Race, Politics and the Middle School Cafeteria." They changed it to, "The futility of classifying ourselves by race."

I do like my title better, but I'm not complaining. Al contrario!

In the meantime, I just wrote another piece entitled "They weren't shouting 'GOOOOOOOOOOL'" about the chants of "RCTV" and "Libertad" at the Copa America games in Maracaibo, Venezuela last Thursday. As it happens, I was there, and it was an amazing moment. Hopefully you will be reading about it in my next published piece .....

2 comments:

memememe said...

Great blog, hope I get to read your article about my country (Venezuela) soon!

Violeta said...

What a wonderful op-ed piece!