Saturday, January 20, 2007

Chispa on TV!

Hey, I got my one minute of air time! Well, less than a minute, actually, but there I am, at minute 17:55 of the January 18, 2007 PBS television show, Images/Imágenes on Hispanics, Economics and Politics, discussing how Chispa Productions creates resources that teach Spanish with Sabor Latino, celebrating Latino culture and heritage in the United States.



For the next week (until January 25), you can watch a streaming webcast of the show here.

So here are three important things I have learned from this experience:

1. ALWAYS have your 30-second elevator speech ready (thank you, Laurelle Johnson of InnerWealth Communications!)

2. ALWAYS take advantage of networking opportunities that really relate to your business and your mission, even if you think you're too tired to go out that evening (I was, but I went anyway) ...

3. NEVER leave your house without having your hair and make-up completely TV-ready!!

Well, maybe #3 is an exaggeration, but I certainly wasn't expecting to be filmed when I went to the Statewide Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of New Jersey networking event last month. And yet there I was, being interviewed by Willie Sanchez, Executive Producer of Images/Imágenes, the longest running Hispanic affairs program in the PBS system, and one of the longest running television programs of its kind in the country. (I guarantee you, you would be seeing a different hairstyle and more effective make-up if I had known!)

But you know what – I like how my message came across, and I was glad to be able to get it out there.

And here is what I love most:

At minute 5:30, guess who also shows up: my Latinapreneur Coach Extraordinaire, Nancy Marmolejo of Comadre Coaching, receiving the Anna Maria Arias award for Latina entrepreneurship at the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce convention in Philadelphia last September.

Such synchronicity! Without Nancy, there would be no Chispa Productions right now. So it was a wonderful surprise, and completely fitting.

No comments: