Saturday, February 12, 2005

Corazones Dulces

Sweet Hearts in Spanish! I love them! Beso, Te Amo, Linda, Todo Mío, Mi Vida, Dulce...these are so much fun. My K-5 Spanish students love them, too, although we live in such a politically correct town that I usually have the kids glue them on Valentines cards they make in Spanish for their families, rather than eat them... although I don't count how many actually get glued on the cards!

It's nice to see that some traditions haven't changed from when I was a kid; the students (at least up to 3rd grade) still bring in those little dime store Valentines and put them in little hand-made mailboxes posted around the classroom. Is this a tradition in Latin American cultures as well? What kinds of things did you do for Valentine's Day when you were young, and what kinds of things do people do now? Speaking of which, do you call it El Día de San Valentín or El Día de Los Enamorados?

No matter what you call it, Happy Valentine's Day, Feliz Día de San Valentín and Feliz Día de Los Enamorados a todos!

3 comments:

Dree said...

Hey, just stumbled on your blog via blog explosion. I teach 1st grade - most of my kids are Hispanic, and they LOVE Valentine's Day (much more than I do...). They'd get a kick out of those hearts. Where did you find them?

Ruth Kunstadter said...

I got mine through Archie McPhee on the internet (www.archiemcphee.com), but I have heard that you can buy them in regular stores in largely Hispanic neighborhoods.

Maria Sanchez said...

I think it's both, as I was sending out my Valentines greetings I wrote Happy Valentines on the English ones and Feliz dia de los Enamorados on the Spanish ones. go figure? I just wrote what came to me when I started writing in Spanish. Mush have been ingrained in me somewhere. I've also heard it called, Dia de Amantes, but that means something different altogether... "day of lovers". I came across this site on the history of Valentines at least it explains where the "boxes" might have originated from. http://www.techdirect.com/valentine/origin.html